MFV Beam Deflection Unit
The Beam Deflection Unit, "MFV", enables the student to demonstrate the fundamentals of bending by studying the deflection produced in metallic flat bars, which simulate the behavior of beams, subjected to different loads.
The Beam Deflection Unit, "MFV" has been designed to enable the students to observe and study the following phenomena in simply supported beams and cantilever beams:
- Relation between the deflections and the applied loads.
- Effect of the length and the cross section on the beam behaviour. Ex: deflection load ratio.
The "MFV" unit consists of an aluminum and stainless steel structure to carry out experiment with metal beams up to a length of 1 m. Three beams with different cross section are supplied.
The structure makes it easy to study cantilevers holding the beam by one end, or beams simply supported on two points.
The "MFV" unit gives us the possibility of modifying the position of the supporting and holding points.
It has a graduated ruler fixed on the structure that allows to obtain measures easily in different points of the beam.
The weights will be hung from hooks, in order to apply the load on any point in the beam.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Study of the characteristics of simply-supported and cantilever beams.
- Determination of the relationship between applied load and deflection.
- Beam supported on its two ends with a central loading point.
- Study of the variation of length in deflection.
- The effect the beam´s length has on a centrally loaded beam supported by its two ends.
- The effect of the cross-section of deflection of beams.
- The effect the beam´s section has on a centrally loaded beam supported on its two ends.
- Cantilever beam with a load on one of its ends.
- The effect the beam´s length has on a cantilever with a load on one of its ends.
- The effect of a cross-section in a cantilever with a load on one of its ends.
- Beam supported by two points and subjected to a different momentum of uniform bending.
- Study of bending, application of loads at different points with fixed or free ends.