MFLT Strut Buckling Unit
The Strut Buckling Unit, "MFLT", has been designed by EDIBON for demonstrate the buckling of structures by compression, allowing to calculate the critical buckling load in function of different end fixation conditions.
The Strut Buckling Unit "MFLT" allows the student to obtain experimentally the buckling critical load of slender struts subjected to compression.
The unit allows to study the buckling of pieces of different lengths, ranging from 300 mm. to 625 mm., to which different support conditions can be applied:
- Pin-joined end conditions.
- Rigidly fixed end conditions.
- One end pinned and the other fixed.
To carry out the practical exercises correctly , it is very important to apply the force with an only axial component. For that purpose, the MFLT unit has a differential screw placed at one end, which allows the system compression.
To measure the compression force exerted on the structure, there is a system composed of an elastic ring whose deformation is measured. The compression force will be directly proportional to the deformation registered in a dial gauge.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Study of deformation in beams.
- Determination of the critical buckling load of a flat test piece, pinned at both ends.
- Determination of the critical buckling load of a flat test piece, with one fixed end and one pinned end.
- Determination of the critical buckling load of a flat test piece with both ends fixed.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Demonstration of the Euler theory for beams.
- Determination of the relationship between buckling load and slenderness modulus for axial loads.