The Voltage Control with SVCs in Transmission Systems Application, with SCADA, "AEL-SVC", has been designed to study the most important applications based on thyristor controlled reactor (TCR) and thyristor switched capacitor (TSC). The goal of this application is to demonstrate the actual SVC topologies used in power systems and the advantages of the utilization of this cutting-edge technology. SVCs are part of Smart Grids and it is unthinkable an actual grid without the SVCs to control the reactive power flows and voltage levels in transmission systems.
The "AEL-SVC" application provides different modules in order to the students and teachers configure their own Flexible AC Transmission System. This application allows various levels of training and research for beginners and advanced researchers who want to start from scratch or improve their knowledge in this field.
Additionally, it is recommended a series of modules for a better understanding of the importance of SVCs in transmission systems. The "AEL-SVC" application offers the possibility of the integration of a real synchronous generator to study the influence of sudden reactive energy changes (droop voltage) and how the SVCs solve this problem compensating the power factor and avoiding significant droops voltage in the synchronous machine.
On the other hand, it is recommended too to acquire the Control and Data Acquisition System Software for Electrical Machines, ‘’EM-SCADA’’, for the fulfillment of SVCs advanced tests. This advanced software allows monitoring the waveforms for currents and voltages to study in depth these signals.
The "SVC-UB" is the base unit of the "AEL-SVC" application.
The "SVC-UB" includes the following elements:
- N-ALI01. Industrial Main Power Supply.
- N-AE1. Transmission Lines Simulation Module.
- N-EALD. Network Analyzer Unit with Data Acquisition (2 units).
- N-REL09. Time Electronic Relay against Overcurrents (1.2 - 7 A).
- N-PSM. Power Switch Module.
- N-REFT/3C. 3 x 300 W Three-Phase Configurable Resistors Module.
- N-INDT/3C. 3 x 300 VAr Three-Phase Configurable Inductances Module.
- N-CAR19T/3C. 3 x 300 VAr Three-Phase Configurable Capacitors Module.
- N-TRANS09. Three- phase Isolating Transformer, 400/400 VAC, 1 kVA, Module.
Required element/s to operate with "SVC-UB" unit:
- AEL-PC. Touch Screen and Computer.
At least one of these kits is required to operate with "SVC-UB" unit:
- SVC-K1. TCR Thyristor Reactor Controller Kit.
- N-TCR01. TCR Thyristor Reactor Controller Module.
- N-INDT. Three-phase Commutable Inductive Load.
- SVC-K2. TSC Thyristor Switch Capacitor Kit.
- N-TSC01. TSC Thyristor Switch Capacitor Module.
- N-CONT. Three-phase Commutable Capacitive Load.
- SVC-K3. Dynamic Load Kit 1.
- EMT7/1K. 1kW/1P Asynchronous Three-Phase Motor of Squirrel Cage.
- FRENP. Magnetic Powder Brake.
- N-DLC01. Dynamic Load Controller 1.
Recommended elements to increase the functionality of the "SVC-UB" unit:
- EM-SCADA. Control and Data Acquisition System Software for Electrical Machines with SCADA.
- AEL-TI-07. Power Transmission Application with Synchronous Generator.
- N-PPIM1. Instrumentation Module 1.
The application AEL-SVC can be mounted on rack (option A) or on rail (option B):
This application needs the following racks:
Optionally the AEL-WBR. Electrical Workbench (Rack) can be supplied to place the rack/s.
This application can be mounted on rail.
Optionally the AEL-WBC. Electrical Workbench (Rail) can be supplied to mount the modules.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.