UESLC Computer Controlled Solid-Liquid Extraction Unit
The Computer Controlled Solid-Liquid Extraction Unit, "UELSC", allows a continuous solid-liquid process of extraction in countercurrent which is the most commonly used in industry because it is the one with the highest efficiency.
The Computer Controlled Solid-Liquid Extraction Unit, "UESLC", is a laboratory-scale unit designed for studying the separation of a soluble fraction from a solid with the help of a solvent in a continuous multistage and countercurrent way.
The unit utilises a continuous feed, counter current flow, multiple stage (but may also configured as one or two stage process for teaching purposes), rotary extractor system of the type frequently seen in industrial applications. The effects of temperature, multiple stages, and throughput rate can all be investigated.
The design of the unit is based on the continuous rotation extraction cell used in industrial scale, which is called "Rotocel". This is the main part of the solid/liquid extraction system and it is divided into compartments. The raw material is fed into these compartments from the input hopper. The material is then passed under three solvent sprinklers, and the dissolved product captured in three drainage compartments. Pumps are provided to pump the product from the drainage compartment of one stage to the sprinkler of the next stage. At the end of the process the spent carrier material will go to a collection container.
The solid carrier can be a light porous material. It can be impregnated with a salt such as sodium bicarbonate or potassium bicarbonate, which is then extracted by the process.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Demonstration of the operation of a continuous multiple stage extraction process.
- Closed circuit percolation extraction (batch reaction).
- Open loop percolation extraction (continuous operation).
- Investigation of one, two and three stage continuous processes.
- Investigation into effect of solvent temperatures.
- Investigation into effect of solvent flow rates.
- Investigation into effect of processing time.
- Process economics. Process efficiency.
- Mass balances.
- Influence of the particle size.
- Influence of the stages numbers.
- Influence of the solvent type.
- Extractions of inorganic and aqueous components.
- Test of extractions for industrial use.
- Sensors calibration.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the UESLC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the UESLC unit process.
- By using PLC-PI additional 19 more exercises can be done.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.