PEAIC Computer Controlled Aeration Unit
The Computer Controlled Aeration Unit, "PEAIC", designed by EDIBON, is a demonstration equipment of the water aeration process to mainly eliminate odors and tastes from the water. It allows the study of the oxygen transfer characteristics by means of different air diffusion systems, as well as the study of the mixing process.
The Computer Controlled Aeration Unit, "PEAIC", allows the study of the oxygen transfer characteristics of diffused air systems and the physical and chemical parameters which influence oxygenation capacity and demonstrates the water aeration process which, mainly, eliminates smell and taste from water.
The "PEAIC" unit also allows the study of the mixing and agitation processes in order to familiarize the student with the different types of agitators.
The main component of the unit is the central tank where the liquid subjected to study will be poured. An air pump, located underneath the tank, injects air in the tank. The air-injection tube passes previously traverses a device that measures and control the injected air, allowing the control of the volume of air that is allowed into the tank. After the air flow controller, the air is led through a flexible tube to the upper inlet of the tank. There, three different air outlets can be connected, in order to disperse the air in different ways (three type of diffusers are supplied).
On the other hand, there is a stirrer, with variable speed control, in the middle of the tank. The main part of the stirrer is a motor that makes it turn inside the tank. The unit includes different types of agitators of different size.
There is an oxygen sensor to measure the oxygen dissolved in the water and a temperature sensor.
The tank is made of a transparent material to facilitate the observation of the mixing process. There covers to avoid splashes.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Determination of the aeration needs.
- Influence of the injected oxygen volume.
- Influence of the stirrer turning speed.
- Aeration with air injection and agitation.
- Influence of the temperature in the process.
- Influence of liquid level in the tank.
- Influence of the water composition.
- Sensors calibration.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Measurement of the absorption coefficient K and the S oxygenation capacity R.
- Effects of oxygen transfer under non-steady state conditions.
Other possibilities to be done with this Unit:
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA allows a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical/electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the PEAIC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the PEAIC unit process.
- By using PLC-PI additional 19 more exercises can be done.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.