EMIC Computer Controlled Microwave Unit
The Computer Controlled Microwave Unit, "EMIC", designed by EDIBON, allows to study different microwave waveguide configurations for introduce students the main concepts about microwave communications through waveguide and antennas systems.
The Computer Controlled Microwave Unit, "EMIC", integrates a microwaves measuring test bench formed by microwaves generator, a kitof different standardized (WR-90) waveguides devices (horns antennas, attenuators, etc), measure devices (Power meter, Slotted line, etc),an Control interface box to connect to the computer and a software for data acquisition and parameters calculation.
This unit includes different components to conform many configurations of the microwave test bench, including an aerial microwaves link,Hybrid Tees's configurations, determination of unknown impedance, etc, all of them are full explained in the set of practices.
The "EMIC" allows the familiarization and experimentation with essential measurements in microwaves systems: power emission,attenuation, matched and mismatched loads, gain of a horn antenna, frequency, wavelength, stationary wave r a t i o(SWR), impedance, operation with Smith chart, etc.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a ControlInterface Box + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and allparameters involved in the process.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Familiarization with the unit.
- Power emission measurement.
- Study of different fixed attenuators.
- Calibration of variable attenuators.
- Wavelength and frequency measurement with the waveguideslotted line.
- Stationary Wave Ratio (SWR) measurement.
- Basic principles of Smith chart.
- Calculate impedance, admittance and reflection coefficient.
- SWR values for different loads.
- Comparison between matched and mismatched loads.
- Study of the Broad-wall Waveguide Directional Coupler.
- Study of the Cross-guide Waveguide Directional Coupler.
- Study of the Hybrid Tee.
- Measure of power emission in free space.
- Measure of wavelength in free space.
- Radiation pattern of a horn antenna.
- Study of gain and directivity of a horn antenna (dBi).
- Reflection of a dielectric plate and metallic plate.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Many students view results simultaneously.
- To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of aprojector or an electronic whiteboard.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical andelectronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industrieseven to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Visualization of all parameters values used in the unit process.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.