TVPLC Computer Controlled Flame Propagation and Stability Unit
The Computer Controlled Flame Propagation and Stability Unit "TVPLC" is a teaching unit which allows to obtain various flames by changing the quantities of the fuel – comburent mix.
The Computer Controlled Flame Propagation and Stability Unit, "TVPLC", is a teaching unit which allows to obtain various flames by changing the quantities of the fuel – comburent mix. The unit is prepared to work with different gaseous fuels, so it makes it possible to study the differences between them.
The "TVPLC" unit consists of a vertical burner, which will be lit by a lighter. It consists of different installations or circuits which are described below:
- Air circuit: it supplies the burner with the necessary comburent for the combustion process. It is composed of a fan and a solenoid valve, usually open. There is a manual regulation valve to adjust the required air flow. The circuit includes a flexible tube for an easy connection to the burner.
- Fuel gas circuit: it is composed of two solenoid valves, usually closed due to safety reasons. It is completely made of stainless steel. There is a manual regulation valve to adjust the required gas flow.
- Safety elements. It is important for the student to familiarize with the different safety elements which can be implemented in a combustion installation. The burner is protected by a box made of stainless steel which acts as physical barrier between combustion process and user.
- Flame propagation accessory: Structure made of aluminum profiles. Panels are made of PVC in order to lighten the unit. It consists of a transparent PVC 5 meters long hose to be able to view the experiment. The ignition process is carried out by a spark plug installed at one end.
- Instrumentation and sensors for the correct study of a combustion process flame. Mainly, the flows, temperatures and pressures of air and gas lines are studied.
A camera is provided to be installed together with the computer (PC). Thus, photographs of the different flames can be obtained.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Study of the flame stability of a burner.
- Study of the flame stability with stabilizer devices.
- Study of flame propagation.
- Smithells flame separation.
- Demonstration of the process of flame lift off.
- Demonstration of the process of flame light back.
- Investigation and study of the methods of improving flame stability limits.
- Study of the data for the construction of flames stability diagrams.
- Investigation of the relationship between flame speed and air/fuel ratio for a variety of gaseous fuels.
- Investigation of the vertical and horizontal flame movement.
- Study of the effect of changing cross-section of the burner on flame speed.
- Study of the effect of directional change on flame speed.
- Study of methods of arresting of moving flames in the flame speed tube.
- Sensors calibration.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the TVPLC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the TVPLC unit process.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.