The Computer Controlled Tray Drier "SBANC", developed by EDIBON, uses one of the most usual drying methods. It consists in making an air current circulate towards the substance to be dried.
The Computer Controlled Tray Drier "SBANC" is a laboratory scale unit designed to study fluid mechanics, surface chemistry, solids structures and mass and energy balances related to the drying process.
It consists of a tunnel, several trays where the product to be dried is placed and a nozzle. There is an axial fan (computer controlled), located at the inlet of the tunnel, to introduce the air required to dry the product. A flow sensor allows the student to determine the air flow introduced.
The unit includes a heating element (computer controlled) and a temperature sensor, located next to the fan, to modify the air temperature. Two steam lines inject steam from a steam generator (not included) to the tunnel to modify the air characteristics.
The unit has three strategically located hygrometers to determine the optimum humidity and temperature values required for the drying process. These hygrometers are formed by two temperature sensors: one of them is wrapped in an absorbing cover (wet bulb) and the other is directly located in the tunnel (dry bulb). The degree of humidity, enthalpy, etc. can be calculated by their measurements and the use of a psychrometric chart.
The weight of the product to be dried is measured with a load cell (force sensor) during the drying process. The humidity air next to the product is measured with a humidity sensor.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
- Study of the preheating effect in a drying process.
- Obtaining drying curves.
- Influence of the size of the particle.
- Influence of the air speed.
- Influence of the air temperature.
- Application of psychrometry in the drying process.
- Sensors calibration.
- Demonstration of drying rate regimes.
- Determination of the efficiency of the prewarm-up heating element.
- Heat and mass transfer analogy.
- Determination of the properties of the air.
- Use of a psychrometric map.
Other possibilities to be done with this Unit:
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivate parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the SBANC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the SBANC unit process.
- By using PLC-PI additional 19 more exercises can be done.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.