The Power Flux Protection Application, "AEL-AE9", has been designed to study the protection devices that deal with the resolution of network events involving reverse power flow and power factor alteration. This application allows the user to understand the operation of the protection devices during power factor detection below established limits and detection of a reverse power flow, as well as the incidents that may be caused.
The "AEL-AE9" application consists of a power factor protection relay and a reverse power flow protection relay, with their correspondent power switch, to study the operation of these protection devices when these circumstances are detected in the grid. Two squirrel-cage three-phase asynchronous motors are also included to produce a reverse power flow, creating the circumstances to study the protection devices operation.
One of the motor works as prime mover and it is controlled by a frequency controller. The second motor works as an electricity generator and it is coupled to the prime mover. Analog meters are included too to study the operation of the electrical machines. Additionally it is included a network analyzer which displays all the parameters involved in the grid. Finally, this application includes resistive, inductive and capacitive loads that cause different consumption conditions for the study of the influence of each one on the power factor, and the response of the correspondent protection devices.
- Manual regulation of the speed of an asynchronous electric machine to generate an over-slip and cause an inverse power flow. Operation both in generator mode and in motor mode.
- Analysis of active and reactive power and their influence on the operation of the protection relays to provoke a response from them.
- Setting of the Reverse Power protection.
- Testing of the reverse power protection response to a reverse power flow.
- Setting of the Power Factor protection.
- Testing of the power factor protection response to below established limits power factor.
- Calculation of the power factor when there is a resistive load variation and consequent response of the power factor protection.
- Calculation of the power factor when there is an inductive load variation and consequent response of the power factor protection.
- Calculation of the power factor when there is a capacitive load variation and consequent response of the power factor protection.
Some possible practices with recommended EM-SCADA and AELSERIN/CA-1KW:
- Wiring and starting up the AC servomotor.
- Start/Stop operations of the servomotor.
- Speed control operation.
- Torque control operation.
- Warnings through alarm.
Some practical possibilities in case of acquiring at least one electrical machine application:
- Start-up of the electrical machine coupled to the servomotor.
- Introducing the braking torque.
- Monitoring of the electrical and mechanical parameters of the rotating machine under different operating conditions.
- Electrodynamic study of the machine.
- Obtaining the characteristic curves of the machine by means of manually controlled braking tests (torque-speed, torquecurrent etc.).
Practical exercises with the recommended Software, "EM-SCADA":
- Real time torque monitoring.
- Real time speed monitoring.
- Real time monitoring of current and voltage RMS values.
- Real time monitoring of current and voltage waveforms.
- Advanced electrodynamic study of the machine.
- Automatic braking test and monitoring of the results.
- Obtaining the characteristic curves of the machine (torquespeed, torque-current etc).
- Saving and comparison of results.