WFPC Computer Controlled Unit to Study Water Flow Principles
The Computer Controlled Unit to Study Water Flow Principles, "WFPC", is composed by both a closed and an open water circuit, thus allowing the observation of fluid's behavior in each of them.
The Computer Controlled Unit to Study Water Flow Principles, "WFPC", is composed by both a closed and an open water circuit, thus allowing the observation of fluid's behavior in each of them. The selection of the circuit can be made by means of a three-way manual valve with two outputs: one assigned to the pipe passage and another assigned to the open channel entrance. Both channels are transparent so the process can be fully visualized.
A computer controlled pump drives the fluid through the conduit. The consumption of the pump can be measured by computer. Depending on the disposition of the three-way valve, the fluid will enter the closed conduit or pass into the open channel. Before entering one of the two paths, the fluid passes through a flow sensor. The flow rate can be regulated by the control valves assigned to each path or by computer.
The closed conduit presents different singularities or accidents: two 90º angles and two bends, in different sections of the tube, an expansion, a Venturi tube, an orifice plate and a contraction. Three pressure sensors can be interchanged in the sixteen available measuring points in order to calculate the pressure drop in each of these sections.
The open channel has a broad-crested weir and a sharp-crested weir. It also has a limnimeter with displacement sensor to detect the water height that can be placed anywhere in the channel.
At the end of both circuits the fluid goes to a storage tank, where it remains until the pump is activated again.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
- Study of the mechanical behavior of the flow in pipes and open channels.
- Analysis of the hydraulic behavior of the pump in a characteristic curve of the pump.
- Study of the accidental pressure losses in the duct (bends, angles, Venturi tube, contraction, expansion, orifice plate).
- Influence of the weirs in an open channel.
- Comparison between a broad crested weir and a sharp-crested weir.
- Obtaining of the flow in open and closed channels.
- Sensors calibration.
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the WFPC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the WFPC unit process.
- By using PLC-PI additional 19 more exercises can be done.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.