The Computer Controlled Diesel Engine Electrical Generator Application, "TDEGC", has been designed by EDIBON to conduct studies and research on the operation process of real power plants running with diesel gensets. This equipment is composed of two main parts: the engine-generator set and the control, signaling and monitoring panels where the regulators, controllers, instrumentation and electronics necessary for the correct operation of the equipment are integrated.
The engine-generator group is mounted on a baseplate which in turn serves as a tank for the diesel fuel. All its components are visible for a good understanding of the operation of the parts of the group. The air filter, the oil filter, the electronic linear accelerator, the starter battery, as well as many other elements that make up any industrial engine-generator set are clearly visible.
The command, signaling and control panels include real genset control and supervision devices such as the multifunction frequency/ voltage regulator, which has functions such as over voltage, under voltage, over frequency, under frequency, reverse power, over current, load unbalance protection, among others. It also has an integrated digital synchronoscope to carry out synchronization maneuvers of the genset with the electrical network. The equipment also includes a Control and Data Acquisition Software (SCADA) from which all power signals can be controlled and monitored to analyze the behavior of the power plant.
There are multiple situations that can be studied with this equipment. For example, how a diesel genset working as a backup system in a hospital would respond to a sudden blackout, or a situation where it is necessary for the genset to start automatically and synchronize with another electrical grid to support power production. This and many other situations can be studied with this equipment and simultaneously analyze all the power and control signals of the system.
Since there are countries with 50Hz or 60Hz grid frequencies, Edibon offers two different references according to the frequency of the country where the equipment will be located:
- TDEGC/50. Computer Controlled Diesel Engine 50Hz Electricity Generator.
- TDEGC/60. Computer Controlled Diesel Engine 60Hz Electricity Generator.
- Automatic speed control of the engine and generator in island.
- Automatic excitation control of the three-phase synchronous generator.
- Automatic speed control of the engine in parallel with the grid.
- Automatic excitation control of the synchronous generator in parallel with the grid.
- Control of the engine and generator in parallel generation mode (working with other generators).
- Coordination of energy needs and generating capacity in standalone grids.
- Active power waves measurement in real time and comparison with PID speed signal and engine.
- Smart Meter to measure the generated energy by the generator.
- Automatic control of voltage and frequency of the generator/engine in a stand-alone or in parallel operation (with any other generator).
- Study of energy requirements and energy generation in standalone grid.
- Studying of synchronous generator/engine response when a change in load is produced.
- Synchronization operations of the one synchronous generator and the grid.
- Synchronization operations with two synchronous generators and grid (with any other generator).
- Load sharing between two synchronous generators (with any other generator).
Other possibilities to be done with this unit:
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical/electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the TDEGC unit process.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.