The Belt Friction Unit, "MCF", allows us to carry out studies and investigations to compare the driving torque for a given degree of overlap of a flat belt (leather or rope) and a V belt.
With this unit the relationship between the tensions in the two sides of a belt can be observed, to evaluate the differences between flat (leather or rope) and V belts and to investigate the effect of the angle lap, among others.
Tension is introduced into the belt by hanging masses or weights. The slipping torque is determined by the addition of suitable masses attached to a cord wrapped round the drum.
- Investigation of the relationship between the belt tensions and the angle of lap for a flat belt.
- Comparison of the driving torque for a given angle of lap.
- Evaluation of the differences between flat belts and V-shaped belts.
- Evaluation of the differences between V-shaped toothed and flat belts.
- Determination of the coefficient of friction between the pulley and belt for the belt sections.
- Verification of the belt tension equation.