A few days ago we carried out our last installation at Universidade de Vigo. It was a pleasure to share time with the electronic engineering department, who will now be able to enjoy the benefits of studying and researching with the new equipment installed: the Computer Controlled Biomedical...
BICSC Computer Controlled Biomedical Circulatory System Teaching Unit
The Computer Controlled Biomedical Circulatory System Teaching Unit, "BICSC", allows the user to simulate different circulatory pathologies with a series of tubes (simulating arteries), several pressure sensors and a viscometer.
The Computer Controlled Biomedical Circulatory System Teaching Unit, "BICSC", allows the students to learn how to interpret the results obtained by the viscometer and pressure sensors, and apply them for the diagnosis of circulatory problems.
The unit has two tanks: one for water and the other for a fluid of viscosity similar to blood.
A computer controlled heating element varied the temperature of the fluid (PID Control).
A computer controlled pump simulates the function of the heart, impelling fuid selected from the tank, through a pipe that simulates the vena cava and another pipe of greater diameter that represents the aorta towards a network of tubes (arteries).
There is a pressure sensor in this pipe (aorta) that provides a representative measurement of both the diastolic and systolic slood pressure.
The aorta artery ends in a network of pipes that simulate the arteries that communicate the blood with the different parts of the human body. In this point there are two pressure sensors, used to take measures before and after the arteries and study the pressure drop in them.
Finally, the fluid leaving the circuit of arteries discharges again in the storage tanks.
In addition, a digital blood pressure monitor connected to a pressure sensor, is included to take blood pressure measurements and collect pressure changes.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
- Measurement of blood viscosity.
- Measurement of the flow velocity.
- Understanding aortic aneurysm.
- Understanding thrombosis.
- Comparison of water and blood flow characteristics.
- Determination of the Reynolds number of blood.
- Determination of the resistance of vessels to blood flow.
- Determination of the pressure drop.
- Relationship between temperature and velocity in blood flow.
- Relationship between temperature and viscosity in blood flow.
- Understanding the operation of a digital blood pressure monitor.
- Sensors calibration.
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc,in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical/electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industrieseven to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the BICSC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the BICSC unit process.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.
Biosignals are all variables generated by living organisms which can be measured and monitored. The study of Biosignals is of great importance to understand the physicochemical and physiological processes in living systems.Biosignals are used in...
The monitoring of a patient carries the most relevant information for a doctor to know how this patient is reacting to a certain treatment.This monitoring consists on the measurement of different biosignals to understand the physicochemical and...
The Study of Electrosurgery in Biomedicine Unit, "BICIR", has been designed by EDIBON to study, in an experimental way, the different modes of operation of an electrosurgical unit or electrobisturi.The unit is supplied with a set of practical...
The Computer Controlled Biomedical Electrotherapy Teaching Unit, "BIETC", consists of an electrotherapy machine used in a professional field. This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes:...
Currently, the ultrasound therapy is one of the most commonly used. This type of therapy is based on the use of high frequency sound waves to stimulate the tissue beneath the skin’s surface. It is frequently used to ease pain, inflammation and...
Hearing loss is the diminished sensitivity to the sounds normally heard, which affects about 10% of the population. The early diagnosis is especially important in children, since a hearing loss may lead to difficulties in the learning of a...
The Biomedical Magnetotherapy Teaching Unit, "BIMAG" allows the students to test magnetotherapy, so as to achieve a better knowledge on its functioning and internal mechanism.The Biomedical Magnetotherapy Teaching Unit, "BIMAG" includes:Real model...
The Biomedical Microwave Thermal Effects Teaching Unit, "BIMTE", allows the students to test microwave therapy, so as to achieve a better knowledge on its functioning and internal mechanism.The Biomedical Microwave Thermal Effects Teaching Unit,...