TGDEPC Computer Controlled Two-Shaft Gas Turbine/ Jet Engine
The Computer Controlled Two-Shaft Gas Turbine/Jet Engine, "TGDEPC", developed by EDIBON, is a teaching unit for the operation demonstration of a Double Shaft Gas Turbine for electric generation and for other uses too.
The main element of the Computer Controlled Two-Shaft Gas Turbine/ Jet Engine, "TGDEPC", is the High Pressure Turbine, which is also called Gas Generative Turbine. It consists of:
- Radial compressor, which is feeded by atmospheric air to compress it.
- Tubular combustion chamber. In every combustion there is a fuel (propane gas), a comburent, which in this case is compressed air received from the compressor, and the activation energy which will cause the ignition of the mix.
- Expansion turbine: The inflamed gases of the combustion chamber transfer a part of the thermal energy that they have in the turbine blades.
Compressor and turbine are mounted on the same shaft, so, when we have the system self sustaining, part of the thermal energy of the combustion gases is used to move the compressor.
The extra thermal energy of the combustion gases is driven to the Low Pressure Turbine, or also called Power Turbine. In it, the rest of the combustion gases energy is transformed in mechanic energy, which is transformed in electric energy through a generator coupled to the turbine shaft.
The second possibility of the "TGDEPC" unit operation is as a single shaft jet engine. The nozzle accessory is assembled to the Generative Turbine, what will cause an exhaust gases acceleration with the consequential reaction, which will be measured by a force sensor (load cell).
The TGDEPC unit also includes:
- Start system: It consists of a centrifugal fan driven by an electrical motor. Air provided by this fan acts on the blades of the compressor, causing the rotation of the high pressure turbine.
- Fuel system: The line of fuel gas consists of a ball valve to open or close the feeding, a pressure regulation valve, a safety solenoid valve and an injector. It includes a flow sensor to measure de gas consumption.
- Ignition system: The activation energy of the air-fuel mix will cause the flame ignition. It consists of an ignition electrode or spark plug feeded by an ignition transformer. An ionization electrode detects that the flame is ignited.
- Lubrication system: It consists of an oil tank of 5 l. From this tank, we dispose of a gear pump to impulse the oil to the bearings of both turbine shafts. The system is completed with a filtration unit and two regulation valves to select the oil quantity to feed to each turbine.
- Refrigeration system: It consists of a plate heat exchanger and a tubular heat exchanger through which the oil transfers its heat to the refrigeration water.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + a Control Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board +Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, for controlling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Study of a gas turbine operation.
- Determination of the gas turbine efficiency.
- Determination of the compressor operation point.
- Study of a gas turbine operation as a jet engine.
- Operation with power turbine.
- Determination of fuel consumption.
- Thermal efficiency.
- Air standard cycle.
- Heat balance.
- Work ratio.
- Pressure ratio.
- Pressure loss.
- Air and fuel ratio.
- Combustion efficiency.
- Recording the turbine characteristic curve.
- Determination of the efficiency of the compressor.
- Determination of the efficiency of high pressure turbine.
- Determination of the efficiency of output turbine (low pressure).
- Temperatures measurements.
- Effective turbine output power.
- Safety systems in the operation of a gas turbine.
- Thrust measurement.
- Sensors calibration.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivative parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the TGDEPC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the TGDEPC unit process.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.