AEDC Computer Controlled Deodorizing Unit
The Computer Controlled Deodorizing Unit, "AEDC", is a batch deodorizing process unit able to perform a vacuum steam distillation underlow pressure and high temperature with steam.
The Computer Controlled Deodorizing Unit, "AEDC", is a batch deodorizing process unit able to perform a vacuum steam distillation underlow pressure and high temperature with steam. Several factors that influence the process can be studied. The unit consists of a deodorizingvessel, a vacuum system, a steam line, a discharge pump and a polishing filter.
The deodorizing vessel is equipped with a computer controlled heating element to heat the oil, a steam distributor that allows the steam/oil mixing required, and an immersed cooling water coil to reduce the oil temperature when the process has completed. This vessel isequipped with a sight glass so that the process can be visualized. This vessel includes a security valve, a level switch and a pressure sensorand a manometer to measure the vessel pressure.
The steam line injects steam from the steam generator to the deodorizing vessel with a steam distributor. This line includes a steam trap, asecurity valve, a check valve, a high pressure switch and two computer controlled solenoid valves.
Vapor from the vessel, with the undesirable compounds, is directed to the condenser of the vacuum system, through which coolingwater flows. This system includes a computer controlled liquid ring vacuum pump to achieve the vacuum in the vessel. The condensedcompounds pass to be drained with the sealing water of the vacuum pump.
To complete the deodorizing process, the treated oil is pumped out of the deodorizing vessel through a computer controlled pump and apolishing filter.
Pressure, temperature and flow sensors are supplied where is necessary, as well as adequate sampling and drain valves. This unit isprotected by a transparent sheet.
The process control is done from the computer using EDIBON control software. This software will allow an automatic control (PID) of theoil temperature with the heating element.
The unit allows two operation modes:
- Deodorizing: the oil is heated under vacuum and the steam provides the agitation required. When pressure and temperature conditionsare achieved, the steam is adjusted to ensure a good physical contact of the steam with the oil. The undesirable compounds are carriedover in the steam and the condensates are blended with the sealing water of the vacuum pump and then discharged to be drained.
- Polishing: after the deodorizing process and the oil refining process is complete. This oil is free of any trace of contaminants. To achievethis, it is pumped through a fine "polishing" filter that removes particles from 5.0 microns on, giving bright oil as product.
This Computer Controlled Unit is supplied with the EDIBON Computer Control System (SCADA), and includes: The unit itself + aControl Interface Box + a Data Acquisition Board + Computer Control, Data Acquisition and Data Management Software Packages, forcontrolling the process and all parameters involved in the process.
Exercises and guided practices
GUIDED PRACTICAL EXERCISES INCLUDED IN THE MANUAL
- Study of the operation of small scale version of the deodorizing industrial process.
- Study of the variation of deodorizing process temperature.
- Study of the variation of deodorizing process pressure.
- Study of the variation of quantity of direct steam added to the deodorizing process.
- Study of the variation of overall process time in the deodorizing process.
- Sensors calibration.
MORE PRACTICAL EXERCISES TO BE DONE WITH THE UNIT
- Study to determinate the optimum process conditions for different types of oil.
- Many students view results simultaneously. To view all results in real time in the classroom by means of a projector or an electronic whiteboard.
- Open Control, Multicontrol and Real Time Control. This unit allows intrinsically and/or extrinsically to change the span, gains, proportional, integral, derivate parameters, etc, in real time.
- The Computer Control System with SCADA and PID Control allow a real industrial simulation.
- This unit is totally safe as uses mechanical, electrical and electronic, and software safety devices.
- This unit can be used for doing applied research.
- This unit can be used for giving training courses to Industries even to other Technical Education Institutions.
- Control of the AEDC unit process through the control interface box without the computer.
- Visualization of all the sensors values used in the AEDC unit process.
- By using PLC-PI additional 19 more exercises can be done.
- Several other exercises can be done and designed by the user.